Must I be a U.S. resident to apply to THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY?

  • No; students who are interested in applying to THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF HIGHER EDUCATION do not have to be a legal resident of WASHINGTON DC or the United States.

Are I­20 forms available for foreign students?

  • No; I­20 forms are not available for foreign students. The University does not provide any type of student visa services, nor does it vouch for the immigration status of any student’s relationship with the United States Government.

Foreign Degrees and Transcripts:

  • Students who have completed coursework or graduated from institutions outside of the United States are required to have their transcripts pre­ evaluated by one of the recognized foreign credential evaluation services. A listing of approved organizations may be found through the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at www.naces.org.

English Language Fluency:

All applicants must possess a sufficient command of the English language. If English is not the applicant’s native language, the applicant must demonstrate college ­level proficiency in written English prior to admission by means of one of the following:

  • TOEFL scores of 500 or higher on the written examination or 173 or higher on the computerized examination.
    Successful completion of 30 semester hours at a recognized college or university in a country where English is the native language.
  • Completion of an Associate, Bachelor, or Graduate degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.

THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF HIGHER EDUCATION does not offer any type of remedial or specialized training in the English language.